Sunday, May 5, 2013

Choose a Line

   My book title is Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood. This book is about Charlie and his brother Sam who get into an accident involving a drunk driver. Sam passes away while Charlie barely survives. Charlie struggles with this for the rest of his life but he has an extrodinary gift where he can see, talk, and play with Sam's spirit. It is a true miracle.
    The section I chose to quote came from page 3, in the introduction. The paragraph states, "That brings me to the case of Charlie St. Cloud. Like I said, it starts with a calamity on the drawbridge over the Saugus River, but theres a lot more to it than that. It's about devotion and the unbreakable bond between brothers. It's about finding your soul mate where you least expect. It's about life cut short and love lost. Some folks would call it a tragedy, and I see their point. But I've always tried to find the good in the most desperate situations, and that's why the story of these boys stays with me."
    The reason I specifically like this paragraph is because the narrator, or author, talks about what happens in the story but in such a vivid way as to where you still want to read the whole book. I like how he says "I've always tried to find the good in the most desperate situations..." because he looks to the upside where as others think of it as a tragedy. It shows that he has a joyful soul. I also like the vibe he brings through his writing. It's a happy vibe and also a strong one. To me it sort of helps me think that if I'm having a bad day, some people have it worse, so you should always look to the upside and be greatful. The image it gives me is the same image I get when I hear the expression "There's always a rainbow after a storm." because even though things are bad, or were bad, there is something good to come out of it. It just makes me think that everyone has their own struggles, everyone handles them differently, and everyone is strong in a different sense than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment