Thursday, March 28, 2013

Ark Angel-Connections

I have been reading Ark Angel by Anthony Horowitz and I really like it. I am about 70 pages into it but it's a fast-pace book so many things have happened in those 70 pages. So far in the book, I have already noticed several connections in the book. I feel that there are connections in the book that relate to both myself and the real world.
Connection to myself
I felt a connection in this book between Alex Rider, the main character, and myself. Well, first of all, Alex is always thinking on his feet. When he has problems, he always creates out-of-the-box solutions. I feel that this "creative thinking" that Alex Rider has is also a part of my own skill set. When Alex is tightly locked in a room on the seventh floor of a burning building, he doesn't waste any time in escaping. The first thing he does is he studies the room. After studying the room he concludes that since the building is a very old building the frame must be rather weak. So, he starts walking around the room trying to find a weak spot in either the walls or the ceilings. After a while(under the pressure of smoke filling the room quickly), Alex finds that there is a soft spot in the ceiling. Coughing from the smoke, Alex reaches his hand and punches a hole in the ceiling. He then cupped his hands, grabbed on the ceiling, and brought himself up. He was above the room. He crawled several feet then slammed his foot down to the other side of the room. He then maneuvered himself out of the burning building just in time. It's both Alex's creativity and never give up attitude that allowed him to survive. I think that I show the creativity and attitude that Alex shows whenever I play sports. If something doesn't go my way(and it's almost impossible for EVERYTHING to go your way), I can always battle through it and end up in the win column.
Connection to the real world
Apart from the personal connections I share with Ark Angel, I think there is a real world connection demonstrated in the book. In the book, there is a "terrorist" group called Force Three. They get their name from the fact that the Earth is the third planet from the sun. This "terrorist" group has strange intentions however. Force Three has very radical and extreme thinking. Their goal is to stop polluting and preserve Earth's natural beauty. However, they will do anything to achieve their goal. They kill rich businessmen who make their money from oil drilling, they kidnap children and ask the parents for money in order for safe return, and they will terminate anyone that gets in their way. They are "ECO-freaks". Their leader, Kaspar, even has the entire world tattooed on his head and face. So, even though Force Three has good intentions, they seem to ignore their values whenever they're killing and kidnapping people. I think that Force Three connects with some terrorist groups throughout history. Their intentions are often,"Make the human race a better one," or "make the world a stronger place." Which in their own minds sound good. However, the way they plan to do so is usually extreme, violent, and puzzling when considering what their goal is. So, Force Three, like some terrorist groups have very contradicting goals and ways to achieve those goals.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment