Friday, March 8, 2013

Letter to Author Ryan Conklin

Dear Mr. Ryan Conklin,

           I am writing a letter to you about your book An Angel From Hell and how it changed my view of things around me. I loved the book and how you describe your view of the war in depth. Honestly its my favorite book, I do read quite a bit, but this one takes it.
           The book An Angel From Hell changed my view of the war. I have always wanted to join the Army ever since I was little and always thought of it being different. My thought of a soldier was these gung-ho guys looking for some action. My view changed to regular men and woman who are incredibly patriotic and want to help this country. Your book helped change my view by telling war how it is; it's hard, sad, and scary. I have wanted to be in the military since I was little because it always seemed really heroic. When I was five I watched "Black Hawk Down", I saw all the branches come together to save their comrades at all cost and it inspired me.
            I found this book in my school's library and thought, "Cool, a book from an actual soldier and not a made up story." I have always had an interest in military books, but a lot of them were written by average authors and not from someone who actually experienced it. I liked your writing style. You didn't sugar coat the book, you explained every gruesome detail about it and I really respect you for doing that. I also liked how you talked about the Fobbits just standing around doing nothing and acting like they were out in battle.
             I have a few questions to ask you though. Have you talked to your fellow soldiers of the Rakkasans lately? How has your life changed since you got back or as of late? In the book, you said that you had gone back to war in 2010, are you planning to write about your experience during that deployment?
             If you are writing another book, I will be looking forward to your next book. I also want to thank you for serving our country and for writing the book, It must have been hard to relive that experience.



                                                                                                                      Sincerely, Connor

No comments:

Post a Comment