Sunday, March 3, 2013

Week of March 3rd-- Dear Author

Your English teacher is not afraid to admit that she is a bit of a book nerd and I like to read about authors. Did you know-- Neil Gaiman hangs out on Tumblr, Laurie Halse Anderson makes her home on LiveJournal, Jay Asher is on BlogSpot, Jay Clark--- okay, he's not cool because he uses a corporate site, but you get the idea. I like to read what writers are writing about well, stuff.

Writers are some pretty real people, and like real people, they are touched when someone is moved by something they wrote. I'm not a big "fan letter" writer, in fact, I've only written one in my entire life. But a book moved me, and I took the time to write. The other day I told you all to SLOW DOWN. So now we will. Instead of blinding blogging, let's savor some reading.

Your blog assignment this week:

Which book from your reading life has made an impact on you?

Write a letter to the author.

You will find 3 model letters written by kids on the side pages of the blog-- each letter has its own page. Your letter will be as thoughtful, honest and indepth, even if you have not had something as life changing as some of these kids.

You may post your letter as a blog entry OR you may submit it digitally to me via email (or print a hard copy first).