Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Dead Zone by Stephen King

                     I have recently started reading Stephen King's novel The Dead Zone. King's book is about a kid named Johnny Smith who can predict how people are going to die. Unfortunately, so far, Johnny has only done this once, and he can't predict who is going to die or when he or she is going to die; therefore, Johnny does not know the very crucial details of these deadly situations. This feeling of unknowingness is very common in most people in reality too. This similarity connects King's book to the real world.
                     There are many everyday situations that contain feelings of unknowingness. No can know everything that will happen to them and their environment. Whether it be if you will die or if it will rain, everyone has experienced this feeling. I experience this feeling whenever I take tests. This feeling of unknowingness mixes with nervous feelings and a small amount of fear. I become nervous because I don't know if I have prepared enough for the test I am taking. The fear involved in this situation includes me fearing a failing grade and the consequences that will come with it. I used this example to show how little things involve feelings of unknowingness. This is very different from Johnny in King's novel. Johnny's feelings of unknowingness can cause big consequences. In the story, Johnny gets hit by an older boy playing hockey while he was skating backwards. He landed hard and started saying "The explosion, the acid", when he was unconscious. About a month later, Chuck Spier, a man who was at the ice rink with Johnny, had to jump start his farm truck. When he tried, the battery of his truck exploded, spraying him with corrosive battery acid. He lost sight in one of his eyes. This situation was more serious than the situation that I experienced.
                    It is very important that people do not become consumed by feelings of unknowingness. Sometimes, I become consumed when I take tests. This is bad because it causes unneccessary stress and makes the effects of unknowingness worse. If I am really stressed, my test grade will suffer. This applies to life too. If someone becomes very stressed out because of their feelings of unknowingness, they can emotionally and physically harm themselves. In worst cases, this surplus of stress can lead to drug use and even suicide. Hopefully, people will not let the unknown harm them.
                  All in all, I find this book to be very interesting. I like how Stephen King uses unknowingness in a serious and shocking way. I especially like the predicting how people are going to die concept. I think it adds a creepy feeling to the book. So far I would give this book four stars. I would recommend it to anyone who likes scary events and suspense.
DeadZone.jpg
                      

No comments:

Post a Comment