Friday, March 22, 2013

The Perks of Being a Wallflower By: Stephen Chbosky

    I am going to be comparing the idea of The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and the world we live in today. I believe that the over all message of what I have read so far, really relates to our world today.
   This book's main character is a freshman in high school. Obviously I can relate to this because I am a freshman. But, it's not just me that this book relates to. Many situations in this book relate to what happens in the real world today.
  Charlie, the main character, has to face an extreme tragedy. His best friend, Michael, has just died. The worst part is, that he did it to himself. Nobody knows why he did it, not even Charlie. This relates to our world in many ways. Many young children are taking there lives due to bullying or harassment. Even though I do not know that that is exactly what happened to Michael, I am going to assume that. Many children are getting bullied everyday, 24/7, and they just reach a breaking point sometime. There have been multiple stories in the news about young children that get bullied and take their own lives.
   This book also relates to everyday life because, now that Michael is gone, Charlie has to start high school alone. Many kids start off high school not knowing anyone. Those "new kids" are shy most of the time, due to that fact that they don't have any friends. But, many of those "new kids" start to make new friends very quickly. Just like Charlie meets Patrick and Sam. They both take Charlie under their wings and show him what high school is truly like. Once a new person to a school meets new people and they begin to become friends, that person will begin to show who they truly are, Just like Charlie.
   I am still not done with this book, but I love it. I love the overall message that this book conveys. I rate this book a 10/10 so far.

2 comments:

  1. You did a great job on your blog this week! I think you did a terrific job describing the character of Charlie. I have seen the movie The Perks of being a Wallflower. Do you think the movie is a good comparison to the book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on your blog revision! I think you related the book to everyday life very well. You made great connections. Good job Sam!

    ReplyDelete