Sunday, March 10, 2013

Dear Carl Dueker

Dear Carl Dueker,
                           
                             I am writing to tell you that your book Gym Candy has had a great impact on my life. Mick Johnson's, the main charactar, struggles have had related to some of the things that occur in my life. Also, your book has given me great life lessons that I will use throughout my life.
                            One lesson I learned from your book was that cheating will not get you anywhere in life. cheated by taking XTR, a type of steroid, in order to gain a physical advantage on his opponents on the football field. I too am a football player, but I would never do drugs to better myself. Football is about having fun, not winning. Obviously, Mick lost sight in this. Also, Mick did more than throw his football career down the drain by doing steroids. He sent his life on a downward spiral. First, he was losing games, now he's losing his life. This is why I will NEVER do drugs. All they do is gradually ruin your life, one step at a time. And when you try to stop, you can't. They keep sucking you back in. Mick experienced this at the very end of your book. I thought that momentand Mick's time at the rehabilitation center showed how dangerous and addictive drugs can be. Thanks to you and your book, I will always be drug free.
                              The other lesson I learned from reading your book was that friends are crucial to life. Mick's best friend, Drew, tried to help him with his crisis. He supported Mick's skills before he started using steroids and tried to steer him in the right direction. Unfortunately, Drew failed in doing that. On the other hand, Drew saved Mick's life. He brought him to the hospital after he tried to kill himself. Without Drew, Mick would have died. This lesson really touched me. It showed me that friends are one of the most important things in life. They will have your back and pick you up when you're down. It is so important that you hold on to those friends. Mick did not do this. As a result, he became addicted to steroids and tried to kill himself. I now realize that my friends are and will be some of the most helpful and influential people in my life. I need to choose them wisely and hold on to them.
                            I can not thank you enough for writing this book. The lessons you have put in it will benefit me for my entire life. Your book has showed me the wrongness of cheating and the importance of friendship. For these morals, I thank you. Keep up the great work. I look forward to your next book.
Thank you,
Thomas E.
Gym Candy by Carl Deuker VVMBookBlog

No comments:

Post a Comment