Monday, February 4, 2013



I just finished the book If I Could Fly by Judith Ortiz Cofer and the main character is Doris. Doris is going through a rough time at home. Two adjectives that describe her are lonely and determined. 
Throughout this book, Doris’s mom has left her alone with her dad, and her dad cares more about his new girlfriend than his own daughter. I describe her as lonely because she has no one to talk to. “I have lost everything and everyone...I’m just here all alone.” (page 117) When Doris doesn’t have anyone to talk to she goes to the top of her roof and speaks to the pigeons. 
Doris is determined because when her mother left to go back to her home town and leave her with her dad she does not give up on bringing them back together like old times. “They where meant to be together, and that is how it is going to stay.” (page 157) She isn’t going down without a fight.
My prediction for the end of the book is that Doris’ parents will see that them being together is so much better for her, and will care for her more. 

1 comment:

  1. Julia, I'm a little bit confused on this summary. I don't get what else happened in the book.

    ReplyDelete